Hair loss (baldness)
Hair loss, known also as alopecia or baldness, is the loss of hair from part of the head or body. In the following article, we list causes that lead to hair loss and ways to protect against this disease. We have also presented methods of treating hair loss, starting with medications and nutritional supplements, and ending with hair transplants. We have also discussed methods of preventing hair loss, if possible.
What are the causes?
- First: Genetics: family history with hair loss and alopecia, the first causes of hair loss.
- Second: Medicines used to treat high blood pressure, heart problems, gout, depression, arthritis, and cancer.
- Third: nutritional supplements.
- Fourth: the change in body hormones; like those that occur with women during childbirth, menopause, and pregnancy, leads to hair loss in women.
- Fifth: The problems resulting from an enlarged thyroid gland, and its complications on hormones, are among the causes of hair loss.
- Sixth: the presence of medical conditions; Such as hemorrhagic disorder, alopecia, and ringworm.
- Seventh: anxiety and psychological tension lead to hair loss.
- Eighth: some hair treatments, haircuts, and products used with hair; like creams and others.
- Ninth: Radiation therapy in the head is one of the causes of hair loss.
- A group of circular bald spots, or incomplete spots: Some people may experience bald spots that are similar in size to a coin, and losing hair is not necessary for this shape in the head only; it may be in beards or eyebrows, and people with this baldness may experience itching of the scalp before falling.
- Gradual thinning at the top of the head area: This type of losing hair occurs in men and women, and the hair descends from the front area in the form of a letter (M) in men. In contrast, women retain the hair of the forehead, but they suffer from hair loss in other areas, and this type of symptom is the most widespread and common among people.
- Suffering from the spread of scaly spots on the scalp: This symptom appears accompanied by redness, brittleness, swelling, and sometimes accompanied by oozing, which is one of the signs of ringworm.
- Suffering from hair loss in the entire body: This symptom is caused by the use of chemotherapy in the treatment of cancer, and the hair may return to growth again after treatment has stopped.
- Hair Loss Suddenly: Emotional trauma or physical trauma can cause hair loss, and sometimes a whole strand of hair can fall out after tightening or combing, and this symptom causes hair thinning in general, and bald spots do not occur.
How to treat loosing hair
First: Treating hair loss naturally
Natural methods for treating hair loss include the following mechanisms:
(1) Nourishing healthy hair
- Pay attention to the diet containing two to three ounces of meat, or four to five servings of legumes and milk daily; because the protein contained in these foods prevents hair loss and promotes its growth.
- Diversification of foods between vegetables and fruits, eating two to four servings of fruit, and ten servings of vegetables daily; and a variety of meat products, which are free of fats, legumes, and grains.
- Obtaining the omega-3 compound, which is a natural ingredient contained in fish, eggs, and grains, can be eaten to enhance access to it; it makes the scalp healthier and reduces inflammation.
(2) Get nutritional supplements for hair
- Biotin and zinc: these supplements help hair grow; because people who have metabolic problems have nails that are thin and their hair fragile, it is recommended that you do not take these supplements unless after consulting a doctor; because experts do not praise it or recommend it for use.
- Iron: It is OK to obtain iron from a pharmaceutical source, because the lack of iron causes anemia, and thus hair loss.
(3) Hair Loss and Garlic Treatment
Garlic is used as a juice or raw to massage the scalp to provide hair loss protection and follicle health care; it can also be mixed with other hair care elements.
Second: Medication for hair loss
loosing hair treatments due to some diseases are available, which is temporary; Such as hair loss due to alopecia, but other forms of hair loss may continue, and there are different ways from a medical point of view to treat this loss, namely:
(1) Hair Loss Medications
Doctors prescribe medications to treat hair loss if they are caused by a disease. Medications include anti-inflammatory drugs and counteracting the immune system. As a drug Prednisone, and if there is a drug used by the patient that causes hair loss; your doctor will likely ask you to stop taking it for at least three months.
A medical body with its weight has stated that there are medications that can be used to treat hair loss medicinally:
This medicine is only available to men and may lead to new hair growth, but it has some side effects. They are:
- This drug increases your risk of prostate cancer.
- Pregnant women should pay careful attention; touching this broken pill may harm them.
- This medication, which is used primarily in cases of hair loss, reduces sexual function and reduces desire.
It is a foam or liquid that is scrubbed by the scalp to prevent hair loss and to help its growth, which is an active substance used without a prescription.
(2) Surgical solution (hair transplant operations)
These operations were before painful and may leave scars or interspersed with the occurrence of infection. Still, now its techniques have significantly evolved, and it is mainly based on taking advantage of hair in the rest of the head that was not affected by baldness and taking follicles of the skin that contain some hairs and planting them in areas hair loss from the scalp.
A range of techniques have developed recently to combat hair loss in men and eliminate baldness, which is the following:
- FUT technology: This technique based on taking a small size slice from the back of the head, and it divided into a group of small slides, and each slice of the small slides must contain one or two hairs, and this process done under a microscope specialized in this technique.
- FUE technology: This technique is more advanced than the slide technique and based on a device that pulls the hair with its follicle from its root to implanted immediately afterward in the place of hair loss or baldness.
- NeoGraft technology: It is a more modern technique than FUE, and this technique does not require any cracks in the skin or the use of a surgical scalpel, and it also has the advantages of not leaving scars; because the doctor does not use sewing or stitches (stitches) in it.
- DHI technology: It is also an advanced technique from FUE or extracting, in which a slice of head hair is cut through a tool called Choi Pen, and then transferred to the area where hair loss occurred, or what surgeons call (the receiving area).
- These other two methods are time-consuming. Because the surgeon moves the follicles one behind the other to the receiving areas, and holes are made in them to implant the follicles, the number of which is between hundreds and thousands of follicles.
- Biofiber: or artificial hair transplant: This technique used for people who experience complete hair loss in the head; That is, they do not have any hair on the scalp, and they, therefore, need synthetic hair, but they should know that the transplanted hair will remain the same, that is, on the same length.
- Mini-grafts and Micro-grafts: The follicles are drawn from the area containing the hair, called the donor, and transferred to the area that suffers from hair loss completely, called the receptor. In Micrograft, the doctor pulls two strands of hair, and in Mini-graft, he pulls three to four strands.
- Laser hair loss treatment: Laser therapy reduces inflammation of the follicles in the scalp, and some studies prove the effectiveness of this technique, but the latest reviews recommended the use of a low level of laser in the treatment of losing hair; as it is relatively safe.
Anti-Hair Loss in Men
There are a set of behaviors, methods, and mechanisms that reduce losing hair in men, and they are:
- Quitting smoking: smoking has found some studies that have a role in losing hair.
- Scalp massage: stimulates the massage from blood circulation in the scalp, and in addition to its incredible effect, it stimulates hair follicles as well and helps hair to grow.
- Oils: Some evidence indicated that some oils have an essential role in nourishing and growing hair. These oils are rosemary oil, peppermint oil, olive oil, castor oil, and coconut oil.
Stay away from stress and relieve stress: A person losing hair as a result of anxiety and stress can treat this by:
1- Doing exercises regularly.
2- Sleeping long enough.
3- Participate in yoga exercises.
4- Practice meditation.
- Obtaining biotin: A type of vitamin found in some foods in abundance. These foods are potatoes, eggs, nuts, oats, and onions, and it has proven that this vitamin has an active role in slow losing hair.
Anti-Hair Loss in Women
- Through medicines: Women can use the drug Minoxidil, which entered the world of medicine as a treatment for high blood pressure. It has proven that the people who used this medicine have regained hair growth in the places where their hair loss occurred, and studies later proved that 2% of the solution of Minoxidil can used to stimulate hair growth again.
- This medicine can used by an eyedropper provided with the solution, twice on the scalp, in places where the hair has lost in a large proportion. Twice a day, after gently massaging the hair, the woman makes sure that the hair dried, washed her hands, and places the solution hits from her face while refraining from washing hair after shampoo for four hours.
- Supplemental iron: an iron deficiency may cause hair loss, whether it is anemia, or due to menstruation and severe bleeding (it has not proven with certainty that iron supplements can treat losing hair).
Use of injections in treatments
First: Plasma hair injection (PRP):
The plasma, which is one of the components of the blood, contains the following elements: water, proteins, and vitamins. It extracted from the blood of the affected person. It then re-injected back into the hair roots to contribute to the growth of hair again.
The benefits of plasma hair injection can summarized in several points:
- Plasma causes scalp cells to produce collagen, proteins, and creatine.
- Plasma injection serves people with severe hair loss, and they injected with plasma in several consecutive sessions; the scalp cells get enough nutrition, and they begin to grow hair.
- Plasma injection causes hair follicles to regenerate; which increases vitality and ultimately produces fresh and strong hair.
Second: Collagen injections
Collagen protein, which found naturally in our bodies, found in the body's outer and exposed areas. Such as nails, hair, and skin. Collagen helps nourish the tissues of these organs, keeping them flexible, supple, and healthy. Its benefits can summarized as follows:
- Collagen has no side effects. It obtained from natural sources.
- Hair needs collagen periodically and continuously, and its deficiency is a direct cause of hair loss.
- Collagen has different and has many types. Also, not all types are suitable for everyone, and the doctor will help the hair loss patient choose the most appropriate type.
- Collagen helps the follicles reproduce the hair, complete its cycle again, and protect it and give it strength.
Third: Using Botox
Some people may find this strange, which is Botox’s use in the treatment of losing hair. It known that the primary function of botox is to tighten the neck, face, and hands by paralyzing the small muscles that control these areas. But it has other benefits for hair, they are:
- Botox stops sweat glands in the skin and reduces the secretion of sweat. Protecting hair from moisture, sweat, and continuous washing. Which provides the hair with an environment suitable for growth.
- Botox's function is that it does not act directly on the hair follicles when injected into the scalp, but its role is to create the appropriate atmosphere for the hair; because it targets the sweat glands.
loosing hair Prevention
Hair loss of genetic origin cannot controlled. But some preventive measures can taken against other hair loss types, and doctors advise the following:
- Avoid nutritional supplements and medications that cause losing hair.
- Do not rub or tighten the hair, and avoid twisting compulsive hair (for men and women).
- Using a wide-tooth comb prevents hair pulling.
- Hair must gently handled when washing and cleaning.
- To prevent losing hair, avoid exposing hair to ultraviolet (harmful sunlight) sources.
- The need to stop smoking; because it has proven in scientific studies that there is a relationship between hair loss (baldness) in men and smoking.
- Use a cooling cap when exposed to chemotherapy against cancer; It may help prevent losing hair (ask your doctor about it).
- The need to avoid tight hairdos, Such as ponytails, cakes, and braids, protects against losing hair.
- Avoid chemical treatments when straightening hair, as well as hot oil treatments.
- Avoid hot rollers, curling irons, and harsh treatment forms, reducing the chances of losing hair.